Rules of the Association
The masculine pronoun shall wherever it appears be taken to include the feminine. Wherever the word "Executive" is used it shall mean "Executive Committee of the Association".
The Association shall be called the Norfolk County Amateur Swimming Association
The objects of the Association shall be
- To promote and encourage the art of swimming, life-saving, diving, water polo, synchronised swimming, and to stimulate public opinion in favour of providing proper accommodation and facilities.
- To select and govern teams and individuals to represent the County.
- To promote, hold, or allocate Amateur Championships
- To ensure that the Laws and Rules of the ASA and the East Region ASA are observed.
The Association shall be affiliated to the East Region ASA.
- All Clubs (which expression shall wherever it appears in these rules be taken to include Associations, Schools and other organisations affiliated to the ASA) whose headquarters are situated within the County shall be eligible for membership.
- The Executive shall have the power to grant affiliation by majority vote after the application for same has been duly proposed by the representative of another
- A club wishing to affiliate for the first time to the Association shall forward to the Hon. Secretary such information as the Executive may desire together with the minimum fee as decided by the AGM of the Association each year, this to be returned if the club is not elected.
A club previously affiliated whose affiliation has lapsed shall apply for re-affiliation without submitting a fee and the Executive if such re-affiliation is agreed shall decide at that time on the fee to be paid for that year.
- The subscription of each Club shall be an amount per member as
decided by the AGM of the Association.
The County shall obtain from each affiliated club an annual return of club membership.
The return shall include all classes of membership including Club Officers, Vice Presidents, Honorary and Life Members, Patrons, Associate and Temporary Members and those included in any other class of membership.
The return and subscriptions shall become due annually on January 1st and must be remitted by January 31st.
- The Executive shall have power to remit the whole or part of such fees but shall report such action to the next AGM of the Association.
- A Club not having discharged its liability to the Association by January 31st shall be suspended from that date, and reported to the next meeting of the Executive which shall publish the names of any such suspended clubs. The Hon. Treasurer may reinstate such a Club if satisfied there is a valid reason for non-payment and that all outstanding dues have been paid, and shall report such re-instatement to the next Executive meeting.
- The subscription of each Club shall be an amount per member as decided by the AGM of the Association.
The Officers of the Association shall be: (a) President, (b) President Elect, (c) Past Presidents, (d) Hon. Secretary, (e) Hon. Assistant Secretary, (f) Hon. Treasurer. and (g) Hon. Chairman
The affairs of the Association shall be managed by an Executive Committee consisting of the Officers and those persons listed in Appendix B together with two representatives nominated by each affiliated club.
Eight voting members shall form a quorum.
- The Executive Committee shall hold four meetings each year and such other meetings as is deemed necessary by the Chairman or the Hon. Secretary who may also, if required, convene a meeting of the Officers between Executive Meetings to deal with urgent business and report back to the next Executive Meeting by means of meeting minutes.
- To co-opt to the Executive such sub-committee secretaries as are not already members of the Executive and such other persons as they may decide.
- To decide at the time of co-option if the co-opted member is to have voting powers.
- To appoint such other sub-committees or other bodies or persons it may at any time consider necessary or desirable and to decide on the constitution, terms of reference and duties of such sub-committees, other bodies or persons.
- To control the finances of the Association. The Hon. Treasurer shall present verbally a financial statement of total assets and known liabilities at each Executive meeting together with a current bank statement which shall be signed and dated by the President or Chairman.
- Absence of a Past President from three consecutive meetings without apologies having been given in writing to the Hon. Secretary shall entitle the Executive to remove his name from the list of serving officers.
- To suspend from activities wholly within its own jurisdiction or expel from membership any Club or members found guilty of violation of the Rules of the Association after informing such Club or member of the alleged offence and having given it or him an opportunity to offer a defence subject to an appeal to a General Meeting of the Association by the offending Club or member. All appeals are to be made within 14 days of the date of the original decision. The Hon. Secretary is authorised to call such a General meeting on the receipt of an appeal.
Annual and Special General Meeting
- The AGM shall be held in November each year at which the Annual Report and Audited Accounts for the previous year shall be presented and the Officers (except Past Presidents and the Chairman, the latter being elected for a period of three years), 2 Hon. Auditors and Hon. Solicitor and Hon. Medical Officers shall be elected by vote of the representatives of the clubs. This rule shall have precedence over Rule 9(a).
- The Hon. Secretary shall have received nomination of Officers
and Executive Members seven days prior to the date of the Annual
General Meeting. In the absence of any such Nomination then
nominations from the floor shall be accepted.
Nominees for President Elect shall have been serving members of the Executive Committee for at least two years. The President Elect shall be President in the succeeding year.
- Fourteen days notice of all Annual and Special Meetings, and all resolutions to be proposed thereat, shall be given to all Officers of the Association and to all Hon. Secretaries of affiliated Clubs.
- No alteration or addition to those Rules shall be made except at the Annual General Meeting or at a Special General Meeting called for that purpose.
- Notice of any proposed alternation or addition to these Rules must reach the Hon. Secretary, in writing, on or before 1st October in order that the same may be placed on the Notice convening the meeting.
- A Special General Meeting may be called by two Clubs, who shall state in the request the purpose for which the meeting is to be called. No other business other than that on the Agenda shall be discussed at such a meeting. The Hon. Secretary shall call the meeting within one month of the request.
- Fifteen persons shall form a quorum at any Annual or Special Meeting.
- The AGM shall appoint those sub committees noted in Appendix A to the rules and the secretaries of those sub committees
- The AGM shall appoint those officials listed in Appendix B to the rules and other County representatives
Representation At General Meetings
- At any General Meeting of the Association the following shall
have the right to attend and vote. They shall each have one vote
only and in the case of the President that shall be the casting
- The Officers of the Association.
- The Secretaries of Sub Committees.
- The officers listed in Appendix B.
- The appointed representatives of the affiliated Clubs.
- Every affiliated club shall have the right to appoint a maximum
of three representatives in accordance with their affiliation fee
- One representative for up to 150 members.
- One representative for each further 100 members or part.
- All nominations for Office and Committee shall be made from those entitled to attend, as listed above. In the event of any nominee being unable to attend his club may appoint another member to attend as a substitute.
- The Chairman shall have one vote and that shall be the casting vote.
- At any General Meeting of the Association the following shall have the right to attend and vote. They shall each have one vote only and in the case of the President that shall be the casting vote.
Selection of Representatives
Any affiliated club member having been selected to represent the County shall be released by his club for that purpose unless prior approval for not doing so is given by the Competitions Committee. The appropriate Sub Committee shall have the power to select any number they deem necessary. Selected swimmers unable to take part in matches or contest shall give three days notice to the Sub Committee Hon. Secretary. Any swimmer, polo player or diver, who having accepted an invitation to represent the Association fails to keep his engagement without reasonable excuse being shown shall render himself liable to suspension from the activities of the Association for a period to be determined by the Executive.
- County tee-shirts will be made available for purchase by a swimmer after competing in his first Inter-County Gala.
- Swimmers will qualify for a County Flash after swimming once in any Inter-County Gala.
- When a swimmer has been selected for a Norfolk A.S.A team and participated in four Inter-County competitions, he will be awarded his County Colours.
All Trophies presented by the Association and competed for under its auspices shall be perpetual. A swimmer or club may hold a Trophy on handing to the Trophy Secretary a receipt giving a satisfactory undertaking to the Association for its safe and proper keeping and return on demand. A Trophy shall be returned to the Trophy Secretary at least 28 days before the Gala in which the event for which it is awarded is to be swum., If the Gala concerned is one of a series of galas making up a set of competition or championship events the Trophy shall be returned at least 28 days before the first gala of such series.
The Trophy Secretary shall supply to the Secretary of each club, at least 42 days before the Gala defined above, a list of the holders of such Trophies to be returned who were members of that club at the time they were awarded the Trophy.
The return of Trophies within the specified period shall be the responsibility of the club to which the Trophy Secretary supplies such a list and in the event of non-return to the Trophy Secretary within the specified period the club shall be liable to a fine of 5p per Trophy per day such fine to include the day preceding the day on which the Trophy in question comes into the possession of the Trophy Secretary.
It shall be the responsibility of the winner of a Trophy to have the Trophy engraved with the year and his name. In the event of the winner not having the Trophy so engraved the Association shall recover the cost of such engraving from the club of which the winner was a member and under whose name he swam at the time of winning such Trophy.
Clubs wishing to withdraw from the Association shall give notice to that effect in writing to the Hon. Secretary of the Association 28 days before the date of the Annual General Meeting or they will be liable for the ensuing year's subscription.
Interpretation Of Rules
The Executive Committee shall have the power to decide all matters concerning the interpretation of these Rules, and to deal with all matters arising for which provision is not therein made.
APPENDIX A - SUB COMMITTEES
The Officers of the Association other than Past Presidents shall be ex-officio members of, and entitled to vote on, each sub committee appointed by the Executive unless the Executive otherwise directs.
The Hon. Assistant Secretary may attend meetings of any sub committee only in the absence of the Hon. Secretary.
The AGM shall appoint a secretary for each sub-committee who shall, unless otherwise stated, nominate up to three members of that sub committee for endorsement by the Executive.
Each sub-committee may co-opt other members and at the time of co-option shall decide if such members are to have voting power.
Unless otherwise stated three voting members shall form a quorum for each sub-committee.
Each sub-committee shall keep minutes of its proceedings and report them to the Executive.
The following sub-committees are to be appointed in accordance with Rule 7(c)ii.
Membership shall consist of the Officers of the Association and representatives of affiliated clubs, but only one representative of each club shall be entitled to vote. The County Coach shall be an ex-officio member entitled to vote. Five to form a quorum.
- To manage the County Championships and Age Group Competitions.
- To promote Inter-County matches when so required by the Executive.
- To select teams to represent the County as required. The Sub-Committee may at its discretion (subject to review) and with the agreement of the County Executive, delegate the selection of teams to a formally appointed panel of County Coaches.
- To appoint officials to County Championships, Competitions and Representative matches.
- To nominate swimmers for District Trials or events as required and to hold trials if considered necessary.
DevelopmentMembership shall consist of the Officers of the Association and one representative the following disciplines:- Competitive, Diving, Open Water, Synchro, Water Polo, Masters, Disabled as well as from Education, Finance and Facilities. Five to form a quorum.
- To implement and monitor the progress of the County Development Plan.
- To assist and advise in the training of swimmers.
- To promote training courses and to select swimmers attending them.
- To promote interest in the training of swimmers.
- To advise the Executive on all matters relating to the coaching and training of swimmers
- To obtain and co-ordinate water space.
- To deal with such matters relating to diving as may be delegated to it by the Executive Committee.
- To make arrangements for holding Diving Championships.
- To select divers to represent the County as required.
- To promote teaching courses and all other activities which further the knowledge of swimming.
- To deal with any urgent business which may arise. A full report of its decisions shall be made at the next meeting of the Executive.
- To deal with matters relating to facilities within the County, and any other matters delegated to it by the Executive Committee.
- To produce the County Handbook
- To deal with matters relating to Finance and associated matters at the request of the Executive Committee.
Synchronised SwimmingDuties: a) To deal with matters relating to synchronised swimming as may be delegated to it by the Executive Committee. b) To make arrangements for holding Synchronised Swimming Competitions/Championships.
County Junior LeagueDuties:
- To organise and manage the Norfolk Junior League competition.
- To deal with matters relating to Masters swimming as may be delegated to it by the Executive Committee.
- To make arrangements for holding Masters Swimming Competitions/Championships.
- To select swimmers to represent the County as required.
- To deal with matters relating to Water Polo as may be delegated to it by the Executive Committee
- To make arrangements for holding Water Polo Competitions / Championships.
- To select swimmers to represent the County as required.
The AGM shall appoint the following officials, and the Executive shall define their duties in accordance with Rule 7(c)iv.
- Trophy Officer
- Officials Examination Officer
- Records Officer
- County Coach
- Officials Liaison Officer
- Colours Officer
- County Disabled Liaison Officer
- East Region Representative
- County Child Protection & Welfare Officer
- Championship Secretary
- Gala Helpers Liason Officer
The Championship Secretary will be responsible for organising the County Championships & Age Groups, the County Relay and the County Challenge Galas. ( The Competitions Sub Committee Secretary will continue to concentrate on preparing the fixture list and arranging for the selection of teams, pool bookings, accomodation and transport for inter county galas).
The Gala Helpers Liason Officer will be responsible for providing helpers, other than qualified officials, to county competitions and, in particular, devise, maintain and select from a list of CRB registered helpers proposed by affiliated clubs to fill positions at these gala. ( Non CRB checked but willing individuals arriving at galas can no longer be asked to help out.)
Revised: 09.79 & Amended: 11.82, 11.84, 11.89, 11.91,11.92, 11.95, 11.97,11.99, 11.01, 11.02, 11.05 and 11.06